De Verbeelding is a collaborative project between the Mondriaan Fund and the Netherlands Film Fund that is aimed at films that are on the cusp between cinematography and visual art.
Biennially four projects can be supported in the development fase. Two (out of the four) are then selected for a grant for the realisation.
A production company (a legal entity, so not a one-man business or general partnership (VOF)) established in the Netherlands or in another Member State of the EU, EER or in Switzerland for at least two years that produces and develops films and other audio-visual productions on a continuous basis.
The production company should be represented by a producer who, as the majority producer, was ultimately responsible for realising and releasing at least one film with a cinema release in the Netherlands. The producer should also have experience with the production and release of creative, artistic and/or experimental films.
The film should be directed by a professional visual artist as defined in the Mondriaan Fund’s General Terms and Conditions. In addition, the visual artist should have demonstrably worked professionally as a visual artist for at least the previous two years and should be integrated into the Dutch visual art circuit. He/she should also have a demonstrably good track record in the field of independent artistic, creative and/or experimental films. Applications from people who are still engaged in vocational training, including post-academic study programmes, will not be accepted. The producer and the visual artist may not be the same person.
- Four projects can be supported in their development fase. This could be either projects in an early or later stage of development. The advisory committee will assess the aplication on the basis of the synopsis, statement of the director and previous work. The grant for development is a maximum of €10.000 per projects.
- Two out of the four projects are selected in a later stage for a contribution in the realisation of the film. This grant is a maximum of €300.000 per project.
More information on the amounts can be found in chapter 2 of the Financieel en Productioneel Protocol of the Filmfonds (in Dutch).
- The project mainly originates from the visual aspect of the medium and has the artistic potential to be selected for leading international film festivals.
- The minimum length of the project is 60 minutes.
- Any additional financing must have been realised within twelve months of being allocated.
- The contribution for realisation must constitute a substantial share of the total budget.
- The project is suitable for display on a single screen and for release in the cinema.
Which deadlines and data?
The deadline for filing applications for a grant for development is 11 October 2017 before 5 PM. Subsequently, the selected applicants can file an application for the realisation on 13 March 2018 at the latest.
After filing a proposal for the realisation of a film, applicants are invited to present their plan oraly to the advisory commitee. Applicants should consider that these meetings will take place on the 11 April 2018 and that the whole team should be present. On 18 April 2018 the results of the selection will be communicated in writing.
How will the project be assessed?
Applications that comply with the specific conditions will be presented to a selection committee made up of representative of both funds. During the selection process, the committee will focus on the following:
- the quality of the film outline, with the focus on the internal consistency and the visual quality, amongst other things;
- the cinematic experiment related to the boundaries between cinematography and visual art;
- the motivation of the producer and the visual artist for making the film and their vision of the film;
- the quality of the oeuvre and the track record of the visual artist and the producer;
- the financial and production-related feasibility and solidity of the film outline, including the feasibility of the additional financing within the specific period;
- the extent to which the production has an impact on the Dutch audiovisual and visual art sector;
- the plans for distributing the film and the potential distribution partners;
- the additional value of the collaboration between the artist(s) and the producer.
After an initial selection, a number of applicants will be invited to present their plan orally to the committee.
How do you apply?
On 29 August 2017 a new round of applications for de Verbeelding will start. Applications can be filed via the Filmfonds. A digital versies of the application form, with additional documents, have to be filed online.* Besides, a printed version of the form – including a signature – has to be handed in at the Filmfonds within two days after uploading the digital version. The assessment will be (mainly) done on the basis of the digital form.
To file an application at the Filmfonds, you need an account: www.filmfonds.nl/digitaal-aanvragen.
* Applicants can upload a synopsis with a maximum of four pages in which the project is decribed. Furthermore relevant documentation can be uploaded. On the basis of the synopsis four projects will be selected for a grant for development.
De Verbeelding is the follow-up to earlier collaborations in 2007, 2012, 2014 and 2016. Those collaborations gave rise to the following projects (some of which are now under production):
Kala-a-za van Janis Rafa (producer: SNG Film), Dreamlife van Melvin Moti (producer: KeyFilm), Possessed van Daniel van der Velden, Vinca Kruk en Rob Schröder (producer: Dutch Mountain Film), Citizens of Nature van Lonnie van Brummelen en Siebren de Haan (producer: Family Affair Films B.V.), History’s Future van Fiona Tan (producer: Family Affair Films B.V.), Passing the Information van Gerald van der Kaap (producer: Stichting Interakt), Werk van Erik van Lieshout (producer: Popov Film V.O.F.), Winterstilte van Sonja Wyss (producer: SNG Film), De Stillen van Ricky Rijneke (producer: Rotterdam Films), Winterland van Dick Tuinder (producer: Column Film), C’est déja l’été van Martijn Maria Smits (producer: De Productie).