Art Platform Start
Art Platform Start is intended for small art initiatives and collectives with or without a regular programme of experimental presentations and activities. These can (also) be temporary or nomadic activities. It concerns a contribution of 25,000 euros towards activities during a single calendar year.
For Art Platform Start, in addition to the general conditions, the following must apply:
- Applicants subscribe to the Fair Practice Code, the Governance Code Cultuur (only available in Dutch) and the Code Diversiteit & Inclusie (only available in Dutch).
- Institutes for professional education in the arts and organizations that are directly financed by the government (through the Basisinfrastructuur plan, the other public national culture funds or sector and umbrella organizations) may not apply.
- If an applicant is included in the Basisinfrastructuur of the upcoming 2021-2024 national policy plan, the approved amount of support is cancelled for that period.
- A minimum of ten percent (10%) of the budget must be covered by financial support from third parties or by the organization’s own earnings for the structural costs of the organization.
Applications that meet the criteria are presented to an advisory committee. The committee judges the application on the basis of:
- a brief description of the initiative, the people involved, the activities achieved in the last two years and ambitions for the near future,
- an explanation of why a contribution is important at this time and in what way it can also serve as an impulse for the initiative in the longer term,
- an explanation of the local importance of the initiative. The Mondriaan Fund does take account of local contexts and regional dissemination in its assessments.
- an overall budget with a financial plan that covers expenses.
In judging the application, the advisory committee considers three criteria and their mutual interdependence:
- the artistic and intrinsic quality of activities in the recent past,
- the artistic and intrinsic quality of the activities described in the planned programme,
- audience reach and local and regional embedding. What does the production, presentation or research contribute to the existing cultural infrastructure and is it relevant for its audience?
An Art Platform Start grant can only be allocated if the advisory committee reaches a positive decision. For budgetary reasons, the Mondriaan Fund’s board may request the advisory committee to weigh the applications against each other and rank the positive recommendations in order of priority. Here, the pluriformity of the entire group of art platforms to be awarded subsidies is also taken into consideration.
Art Platform Start grant consists of a contribution of 25,000 euros. This amount can be flexibly applied during the course of the calendar year. The art initiative can use this funding for project costs, organizational expenses and honoraria. At least ten percent (10%) of the budget must be covered by financial sources from third parties, such as local authorities, private funding and/or income generated by the platform itself for the structural costs of the organization.
In the applications for 2020, a maximum of 13 programmes can be supported. In cases where the grant allocation maximum is exceeded, the application can be rejected on budgetary grounds.
Art initiatives can submit their application through the application system of the Mondriaan Fund. First, you need to make an account to be able to apply. In the system, you can complete an online application form and submit it together with the information required, included in the checklist below. Art initiatives that do not have a Chamber of Commerce (KvK) registration can submit an application as an individual. Initiatives that are registered with the Chamber of Commerce can submit their application as organizations.
Click here for frequently asked questions (FAQ) about online applications.
Applications are judged in a single round each year. This year’s deadline for applications was 6 July 2020. Applications must be received by 5:00 PM on the date of the deadline.
Applicants will be notified of whether or not their application has been approved no later than three months after this deadline date.
Click here if you wish to learn how your application will be processed.
We have comprised a checklist of the information required to support your application. The order of the checklist follows that of the application form. The documents should be uploaded as PDF files. Please ensure that you do not exceed the maximum number of pages per segment. Pages that are in addition to the maximum allowed per segment will not be taken into consideration.
For organizations applying for an Art Platform Start grant: proof of registration with the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel, KvK)
An art initiative that is registered with the Kamer van Koophandel must apply as an organization. Here, upload your proof of registration with the KvK. It must be no more than a year old.
For individuals applying for an Art Platform Start grant: proof of registration with the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel, KvK)
If you maintain a business bank account, we request that you upload a recent certificate of registration with the Kamer van Koophandel, in order to confirm that this is a one-person business. It is only possible to submit a business bank account number for your own one-person business. It must be no more than a year old.
For an Art Platform Start individual: Population Register extract for non-Dutch nationals
If you do not have Dutch citizenship, you must upload a recent extract of your proof of residence with your municipal population register. The document can be no more than three months old.
If you have not previously submitted an application to the Mondriaan Fund, or if your bank account number has changed since your last application, you need to upload a recent bank statement.
Permission statements for an Art Platform Start individual
These are statements of permission from those directly involved in the art initiative for the use of the bank account number. You can upload these statements. They must all be included in a single PDF file.
Art platform profile
Give a concise description of your platform, the people involved, the activities that have been realized in the recent past and your ambitions for the near future. This must be no more than three A4 pages.
In the proscribed space in the application, give a short summary of your programme, with a relevant selection of the artists and activities involved. The text must be no more than 1375 characters long.
A separate programming plan with the following elements:
- an explanation of why funding is important at this time and in what way this will serve as an impulse for your initiative in the longer term;
- the artists, mediators and collaboration partners involved;
- the expected number of participants and/or visitors;
- an explanation of the local importance of your initiative;
- optional: relevant visual documentation material.
This programming plan should be a single PDF file with no more than 20 A4 pages, including illustrations where desired.
Meeting good practice codes
For an Art Platform Start grant, your initiative must meet the standards of the Fair Practice Code, the Governance Code Cultuur (governance code for culture) and the Code Diversiteit & Inclusie (Code for diversity and inclusion).
Meeting Fair Practice Code standards automatically means that your initiative follows the guidelines for honoraria for artists.
Budget and financing scheme
An Art Platform Start grant entails an amount of 25,000 euros for the year 2021. You need to upload an overall budget, including a financial scheme that covers expenses. The budget must contain an overview of income and expenses for the calendar year. At least ten percent (10%) of the budget must be covered by financial contributions from third parties and/or the applicant’s own earned revenue.
Letters of confirmation
All letters in which third parties confirm their financial contributions to the programming are to be collected in a single PDF file.
Note: The attachments included with the uploaded application form are automatically arranged in a predetermined order and assembled in a single document. It is this document that goes to the advisory committee. In order to ensure the correct structure in this document, it is important that you place the requested attachments in the appropriate place and that nothing is uploaded more than once.