Visual artists from the Netherlands and the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands with a professional practice of at least one year. Every effort will be made to include a diverse blend of ages, backgrounds, genders and disciplines in the selection.
The grant is intended to boost the international standing of visual artists from the Netherlands and the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands by stimulating their presence at significant international events. The Mondriaan Fund offers the grant to help visual artists become better acquainted with the international art world, to expand their own international network and to help them raise their international profile. The Mondriaan Fund is making 40 travel vouchers and tickets available for the preview and opening (17 to 20 April 2024) of the upcoming Venice Biennale.
The grant consists of tickets to the preview and opening of the Venice Biennale. The Mondriaan Fund also covers the travel expenses to and from Venice, and the cost of accommodation in Venice (up to a maximum of € 1,100 per person). The travel voucher for visual artists living in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is up to a maximum of € 2,000, in light of the higher cost of travelling from the Caribbean.
How and when to apply?
Visual artists can submit an application using the ‘Open Oproep Manifestatie’ application form on the website until 16.00 (CET) / 11.00 (Caribbean time zone) on Thursday 2 November 2023. We require a CV and motivation letter.
You will require an account in order to submit an application on the website, and if required, can apply for a new account online. Applications are assessed by an advisory committee. Contributions from the Mondriaan Fund cannot be granted in retroaction. The selected artists will be informed by the end of December.
- You have been working as a professional artist for at least one year.
- You are active as an artist and part of the professional visual arts field in the Netherlands and/or the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- You are present in Venice for at least three days during the preview days and attend the opening of the Dutch Pavilion.
- Following the trip, you draft a written evaluation of your visit to the Venice Biennale.
The artist’s CV, motivation and website (if a website is not available, an alternative such as e.g. Instagram) are used to assess the quality of the artist’s practice, their international potential and the relevance and urgency of potential participation.
Based on your CV, motivation and website (if a website is not available, an alternative such as e.g. Instagram), Mondriaan Fund staff create a shortlist for the advisory committee. The committee has access to the complete list and can also take artists on the longlist into consideration. The advisory committee also takes your CV, motivation and website (or alternative) into consideration when assessing your application. The committee is responsible for making the final selection. The selected artists will be informed by the end of December.
The Mondriaan Fonds will host an information session for the selected artists on Friday 16 February 2024.
Applications are assessed based on the following criteria:
- The quality of your artistic performance;
- Your international potential;
- The relevance of the visit for the internationalisation of your practice and the expansion of your international network.
The motivation should at least address the following aspects:
- Indicate how this visit contributes to the internationalisation of your practice and the expansion of your international network.
- The primary reason for the visit to the Venice Biennale is to expand your international network. We would therefore like to hear who you hope to meet and whether you already have meetings planned.
In order to process your application, the Mondriaan Fund requires various information: details that you can enter in the application form and documents that you can upload. Below is a checklist outlining all of the required information, following the layout of the application form.
Tip: gather all of the required information before you start completing the online application form. Appendices can be uploaded as PDFs. Ensure you do not exceed the maximum number of pages or characters, where stated.