Galleries based in the Netherlands, who subscribe to and apply the Gallery Fair Practice Code, who do not currently participate in the KunstKoop or wish to extend their participation as of January 1, 2024.
The Mondriaan Fund offers the KunstKoop grant to strengthen the private market and boost sales of contemporary visual art.
To offer your customers the opportunity to purchase works of art through an interest-free instalment plan.
A separate budget has been reserved to cover interest on deferred-payment sales by galleries accepted for the KunstKoop. For each participating gallery, this is the maximum amount that the Mondriaan Fund reserves for the payment of the interest charged by Santander Consumer Finance for KunstKoop loans taken out on behalf of the gallery in question.
When and how to apply
Applications are submitted through the Mondriaan Fund online application system. The deadline for submitting applications is Monday 4 September 2023, 5:00 PM (CEST). To apply, the gallery first needs to create an account with the Mondriaan Fund through our website. When applying, always keep in mind that 3 months are required to process your completed application.
This description is based on the Mondriaan Fund KunstKoopregeling (in Dutch).
The submitted application with attached documents is checked by employees of the Mondriaan Fund to ensure the application is complete and tested against the conditions of the grant. If this is approved, the application will be granted by the board, provided that the available budget has not been exhausted.
Acceptance in the KunstKoop can only take place if the application meets all the stipulations mentioned.
Due to a limited budget, it is possible that not all applications that meet the conditions of the grant can be honoured. In that case, the fund office will rank the applications in the order in which they are received. In this case, the board can also decide to lower the maximum interest budget per gallery.
- Galleries are obliged to sign the Gallery Fair Practice Code, actively apply the Code and explain what it entails. It is important that the galleries both apply and explain the Code. The galleries are expected to publish the Code in full and in a prominent position on their website, alongside the declaration that they endorse the Code.
- An application can only be submitted by a physical and/or online art gallery with an address in the Netherlands, which has functioned as such and been registered as such with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (the Kamer van Koophandel) for at least a year.
- We here understand an art gallery to be a professionally and economically independent organization with a physical and/or online space that is open to the public, where regular, changing exhibitions are held. The gallery’s primary objective is the organization of exhibitions of works for sale and the sale of works of art by contemporary visual artists or designers that have not been previously presented by others. The gallery should present at least six changing exhibitions each year. Art lending libraries (Kunstuitleen), semi-governmental institutes and other subsidized organizations may not apply.
- The gallery should be open to the public, on average, at least 15 hours per week.
- Galleries that have been in existence for more than three years need to have demonstrably achieved a total trade turnover of at least €35,000 (including VAT) from the sale of art, or mediation therein, during the year preceding their application. Galleries that have been in existence for less than three years need to show a total sales turnover of at least €15,000 (including VAT) for the preceding year.
In order to process your application, the Mondriaan Fund needs information, both information you fill in on the application form and attached documents you upload in PDF format. Here below is a checklist that follows the same order as the application form.
Tip: collect all the information you require before you begin filling out the application form. All attachments should be uploaded in PDF format. Where a maximum number of pages is given, do not exceed that number. Pages in excess of the maximum will not be included with the application.