The grant is intended for organisations in the field of mobile heritage and can be applied for jointly with another institution.
The Mobile Heritage Restoration Grant is intended for the restoration and repair of mobile heritage, with a focus on its preservation. It involves all sectors of mobile heritage: rail, roads, water and air.
The grant can be used for restoration and repair of mobile heritage that is listed in the National Register of Mobile Heritage, and that takes up a clear position in the storyline of the Toonbeelden (Showcases), which expresses a special national or regional interest.
The aim is to reinforce the quality of extraordinary mobile heritage, and to keep it operational in a sustainable way, taking into account aspects of environment, energy and climate.
Through the Art Heritage Presentation grant, a contribution can be requested to increase the visibility of mobile heritage.
The amount of the grant is determined per application. The maximum contribution by the Mondriaan Fund is 50% of the project costs.
Applications can be submitted at any time of the year, using the Mondriaan Fund’s online application system. You must first apply for an account in order to submit your application. Once your application is complete, please allow for a processing period of 3 months from the moment your application has been submitted in full. Grants cannot be awarded retroactively.
Applicants must take into account a processing period of 3 months from the moment the application is fully submitted. Grants by the Mondriaan Fund cannot be awarded retroactively. That is why the application must be submitted well in advance of the desired commencement date.
This explanation is based on the Deelregeling Restauratie Mobiel Erfgoed (in Dutch).
- Applications may be submitted by Dutch non-profit foundations or museums, focused on the preservation, maintenance and exhibition of mobile heritage. Museums whose collection is funded through the Erfgoedwet (Dutch Heritage Act) are not eligible for this grant.
- Applications may also be submitted by an organisation representing several mobile heritage institutes.
- The object is or has been used in the Netherlands, and/or produced in the Netherlands. If the application involves a car, the car must be over 30 years old; if it involves a plane, the design has to be over 50 years old, and the plane itself older than 40. If the application concerns a train, the train needs to be out of service; maritime heritage must be older than 50 years, from the moment of launch. The maximum grant of the Mondriaan Fund amounts to 50% of the project costs.
- If, within a period of five years after completion of the restoration, the object is transferred, the awarded grant may be (partially) re-claimed.
- Applications cannot be submitted for the funding of restoration-related costs, such as storage, presentation or exploitation.
- If the applicant has acquired funds of their own through crowdfunding, for example via voordekunst.nl, this counts as an advantage in the assessment process.
- For projects that are aimed at physical and virtual visibility, the increase of support, or education, and that contribute to professionalization and reinforcement of the mobile heritage sector as a whole, institutes may also apply for a Mobile Heritage grant. The same goes for development contributions to sustainability issues. It is also possible, as an organization, to apply for funding with both programmes for mobile heritage. With the Mobile Heritage grant, the maximum contribution of the Mondriaan Fund is 50% of the total project costs; for a feasibility study, this amounts to 50%.
All applications that comply with the formal conditions and that have been submitted with the requested attachments will be presented to an advisory committee that issues advice on the allocation of Mobile Heritage Restoration grants.
When the grant involves a partnership between 2 or more parties, this has a positive influence on the assessment. The assessment also considers whether the partnership has added value for this plan. For mobile heritage, it is of great importance that the knowledge of experienced restorers is transferred to younger people. Cooperation with educational parties and the offer of apprenticeships is an advantage.
A Mobile Heritage Restoration grant can only be awarded if the committee of the Mondriaan Fund issues a positive recommendation concerning the above criteria taken together.
Such a positive recommendation may come with a recommendation on the total amount to be awarded within this grant, and the period for which it should be awarded.
Due to our limited budget, it is not possible to award grants to all those whose applications receive positive advisories from the committee. This can mean that an application can be positively assessed, but the applicant is nonetheless not awarded a grant.
- Current details of the institute.
- A substantive motivation as to why the mobile heritage objects involved are relevant for the Netherlands.
- A project plan and, if applicable, a sustainability plan. Sustainability may involve (technical) measures for improving the energy performance, the reduction of environmental impact and emissions, the use of energy saving materials or techniques, etcetera, while taking into account the cultural historic value of the restoration object.
- A presentation plan, including a communication plan, explaining how the institute aims to target and hold on to an appropriate audience in an inspiring way.
- A budget with a financing scheme and tenders.
- Is the project exemplary, or, for some other reason, extraordinary?
- What is the quality of the restoration and sustainability plan?
- Is there an innovative or investigative attitude that can be found in the application?
- Do the applicants make use of sustainable (restoration) techniques?
- Are the applicants able to reach an appropriate audience in an inspiring way, and to keep the audience committed to the project, reinforcing the relation between mobile heritage and the public? What is the level of support for the activity? Have the applicants made use of crowdfunding?
- To what extent does the project contribute to the professionalization and reinforcement of the sector of mobile heritage as a whole, and to what extent are connections forged between the sub-sectors of roads, water, air and rail? Does the applicant enter into alliances in order to create a connection with others, so as to create a meaningful project, taking into account climate, energy and environmental aspects?
To process your application, The Mondriaan Fund needs information. All of this information can be submitted in the application form itself, along with documentation that you can upload. Below is a checklist that follows the layout of the application form and contains all the information required.
Tip: collect all your information before you start filling out the online application form. The attachments can be uploaded as PDFs. Important: wherever a maximum number of pages is given, do not exceed that number of pages! Additional pages will be ignored.
Recent and current extract from the register of the Chamber of Commerce (maximum 1 year old).
Current details of the organisations (max. 1 page)
With a description of the activities of the applicant organisation over the past three years, including goals, target groups, partnerships and public reach.
Description of the object to be restored and its importance (max. 5 pages)
With the current data about the object or collection to be restored (such as provenance, name of the designer, dates of possession, those responsible for the object to be restored), and a description of the significance of the object within the storyline of the Toonbeelden (Showcases).
Project plan (max. 20 pages)
With an overview of the activities to be organised, the planning, description of cultural entrepreneurship, the people responsible for the content of the project, and any involved partners and website. Describe the urgency of the project, the effectiveness of the treatment method or maintenance measures, the consideration given to sustainability, the safeguarding of the storage conditions, and accessibility to the public after restoration. Motivate why the proposed plan has an exemplary function or is special in some other way.
Presentation plan (max. 15 pages)
A description of the way in which the project will be presented, including a communication plan with an explanation of how the institute aims to reach and hold on to an appropriate audience in an inspiring way. If applicable, also describe collaborations aimed at the transfer of knowledge about restoration to young people. In addition, provide an indication of the expected number of participants or visitors; describe the target groups, the choice for these target groups and how the activities fit with these groups.
Specified budget with a financing plan
Including the institute’s own contribution. The budget must come with substantiation. If the financing also involves third parties, we request that you submit the entire budget and financing plan, and not just the part for which a grant is applied for with the Mondriaan Fund.
Check here for information about the budget for institutes.
Tenders of crucial items in the budget
Compile all the tenders within a single PDF file.
Proof of management or ownership
Proof of registration in the National Register for Mobile Heritage
Link to the registration in the National Register for Mobile Heritage
Find here the online register.
For questions about the registration or when your object in not yet included in the National Register for Mobile Heritage, please contact: Kees Wielemaker, 06 55 00 31 92 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent bank statement
If the institution has never previously submitted an application to the Mondriaan Fund or if you indicate in the application form that the account number has changed since the previous application, you must upload a recent bank statement.
Commitments of inviting or participating parties
With permission to submit the application. Combine all letters within a PDF file.
Confirmation letters of contributions by third parties
Combine all letters in a PDF file.